As gardens become more an extension of our homes, it’s essential to invest in the right furniture. So, we've put together our 5 top tips to make buying your garden furniture a breeze.
5 TIPS FOR BUYING GARDEN FURNITURE
Get your garden ready for the sunshine with our top tips for buying outdoor furniture...
1. START WITH YOUR NEEDS
It's as simple as beginning with what you need from your outdoor furniture. Different spaces and lifestyles have different requirements, and it’s key to identify these at the very beginning of your shopping process. Do this by making a list of all of the activities you'd like to do in the space before buying your garden furniture. For example:
- If you'd like to use your patio to relax with your loved ones on a warm evening, opt for a modular sofa set that you can configure to suit your family.
- If you'd prefer to host intimate al fresco dinner parties barbecues, brunches and so on, choose a small dining set.
2. TRY YOUR FURNITURE BEFORE YOU BUY
If you can, we recommend seeing the furniture you like before you buy. This way, you can take a closer look at the finish and materials. We have showrooms across the UK with stock from each of our collections where you can sit down and try out our furniture for yourself. If you can't make it to a showroom, we highly recommend trying a Live Video Call with one of our Furniture Experts who can show you close ups of the furniture. You can also order free material and fabric samples from your favourite collections.
3. FIND THE PERFECT MATERIALS
Speaking of materials, one of the most daunting aspects of buying garden furniture is the wide range of materials available on the market. Figure out what is best for your needs by remembering their pros and cons:
- Rattan comes in a variety of styles, weaves and materials, ranging from traditional in style to having a more modern edge.
- Synthetic rattan possesses a host of properties that make it a more practical choice than it's natural counterpart. At Bridgman, our rattan furniture is expertly crafted using only the finest synthetic polyethylene weaves to ensure premium quality across our collections.
- There are also different types of weave to choose from. Half round is a more accessible form of weave, while full round is the top-level choice. Most of our outdoor furniture collections are crafted using a full round rattan weave for unmatched comfort and premium style. Our Hampstead and Windsor Collections offer a more modern look by using a flat weave, to provide yet more choice when you pick your favourite rattan furniture.
- Learn more about our different styles of rattan here.
- Rope furniture is the latest innovation in garden furniture and it's certainly here to stay.
- Bringing a contemporary and nautical infusion to outdoor spaces, rope dining and lounging furniture is stylish, durable and perfect for every occasion.
- Discover more about our rope collections here.
- Aluminium furniture is a wonderful choice for those looking for more modern furniture.
- Aluminium furniture is lightweight, rust-free and easy to maintain, and is often used as the frame for other materials for example rattan and rope.
- It is essential that aluminium be powder-coated (covered in layers of of high-quality paint) to ensure longevity, durability and rust-resistance.
- Outdoor fabrics
- Our waterproof, stain-resistant outdoor fabrics are made by spinning solution-dyed acrylic, the same fabric used on luxury yachts, into a soft yarn.
- Arguably the natural next step in luxury outdoor living, outdoor fabrics (if woven properly) can be as soft as wool and as comfortable as indoor furniture.
- By using acrylic, the fabric is given UV-protection, making it 7/8 on the lightfastness index and preventing fading in the sun.
4. CONSIDER STORAGE & MAINTENANCE
Don't forget that everything requires upkeep and maintenance to keep things in the best condition possible, as annoying as it may be to do so. So, make sure you choose garden furniture that aligns with the level of maintenance that you’re realistically able to provide.
Luckily, thanks to modern innovations a lot of garden furniture is designed to be left outside all year round. At Bridgman, we design each of our premium outdoor furniture collections to be loved and last for years to come. So, with just a little TLC, you can keep your garden furniture looking its best season after season.
For periods of non-use, we do recommend buying some Furniture Covers for extra peace of mind against harsh weather and to prevent dirt and debris from dirtying your set. It is also important to remember to remove any cushions and store inside or in a Cushion Box when not in use (especially if they aren't waterproof). For more care and cleaning guidance, take a look at our Garden Furniture Care Guide.
5. INVEST IN QUALITY OUTDOOR FURNITURE
Although it may sound cliché, a major advantage of investing in quality furniture is that you really do get what you pay for. So, if you can afford to, opting for premium pieces will guarantee you with unrivalled durability, comfort and quality you won't find with cheaper furniture.
Less expensive pieces will show signs of wear and tear much faster and within just a couple of years, you’ll have the hassle of replacing the furniture and respending your money. Quality furnishings, like our handcrafted garden furniture, are designed to last for years to come and provide you with an excellent return on your investment. You’ll also benefit from our industry-leading guarantees of up to 10 years, second-to-none customer service and an overall incomparable shopping experience. Discover more about how investing in your garden furniture also contributes toward sustainability, comfort and more by reading our helpful blog post.
To make our luxury outdoor furniture as accessible as possible, we've introduced finance options to spread the cost of your investment and make it easier for you to get the quality you're looking for.