The Gardener's Guide
Celebrate summer with our top tips to tend, prune, relax and enjoy your outdoors with a spot of gardening this July.
- Keep watch for pests like lily beetles, snails and aphids, and remove before they do too much harm.
- Water and feed sweet peas regularly, picking the flowers every few days and removing seed pods to prolong flowering.
- Water thirsty plants regularly to keep them healthy and well fed.
- Though most will tolerate a few days' absence without suffering, make sure to care for your houseplants if you go on holiday, providing moisture in just the right quantity.
- Tidy up fallen leaves and flowers to discourage the spread of fungal disease.
- Feed, water and deadhead summer bedding and perennial plants to encourage new blooms for as long as possible.
- Cut back faded perennials to keep your borders tidy.
- Cut back growth in your hanging baskets to encourage new flowers and foliage - make sure to feed your baskets well after doing this.
- Deadhead your roses to keep them looking tidy.